Sunday, January 16, 2011

That is the Question.

For those of you who remember the nineties and early 2000 (if you don't, you're probably too young for my blog), remember the Justice League Unlimited. I know, I know, I talk about them all the time. Well shut up, this time I only want to talk about one character. The Question. The Brilliant conspiracy-theory mastermind who is reported to be possibly an even better detective than Batman. He single-handedly unraveled the Cadmus project and helped the league put a stop to it, managed a relationship with the Huntress, found another reason to hate boy-bands, and even knows that the little plastic things on the ends of your shoelaces are called Aglets.

So what did he and Huntress do after Cadmus had fallen? Well, permit me to fanfic a bit, and let me know what you think about my theory of what happened. Skip the Italics if you just want to get back to character study.

Beamed down by the teleporter, Question and Huntress walked along the street.
"I don't get it, Q. You could beam right into your house, you know that, right?"
"Forgive me if I don't find it too comforting, the idea of costumed compatriots appearing in my house whenever they feel like it." Q pointed out simply.

"Dude, what happened to your face?" Question hated skater kids who still said 'dude', but he so loved that question.

"I was born with it. It made playing 'Scarface' on stage much more interesting." He never answered the same way twice. His supposed lack of a face was certainly a conversation starter.
The kid ran off, almost surely about to tell his friends. Q continued walking with Huntress at his side, up a flight of stairs and into an old apartment building with low rent.

"Nice dump, Q. I would've thought the League would be paying you more." Huntress remarked flatly. She liked Q a lot, but his choice of apartments was sort of interesting. It wasn't her first time there, but it always surprised her that he never seemed to improve it.

"It's not home. It's just a base of operations. I don't like the League knowing where I live. I still like my privacy." He remarked, walking over to a cork board that had been left to rot on the floor. It was full of pictures, news clippings, strings, and pushpins. It was all of his findings on Cadmus. And now that Cadmus was taken down... Why have it?

"You could just preserve it and get a new board, Q." Huntress suggested on a nicer note, walking over to rest her hand on his shoulder compassionately. She knew what it was like to have no point to a mission anymore. It had to be hard on him to just stop investigating something he had spent so much time on.

Q thought for a few minutes. "No." He leaned down and picked up the board, carrying it over to the grungy couch where he sat with it on his lap and let his fingertips toy with the lines of string, twine, and yarn connecting all the little pieces. The scraps of information nobody but he could truly decipher and put together.

Huntress sat next to him and watched Q play with the strands. She couldn't see his eyes, but she could guess that his look was longing, in a way. It was good that Cadmus was gone, but now what would he do? She had never known him to be too interested in much else.

Q started unceremoniously plucking the pushpins from the board one-by-one and setting them back on the coffee table. "I suppose now I'll just have to go back to my real job. I wonder how Aristotle is doing." He remarked pleasantly, turning the TV onto some pop-music station blaring shrieking teenage singers while he started ripping pieces off the board.

"Who?" Huntress was understandably confused. But she could tell Q was smiling.


So who is the Question? Well, he's a detective. Sure he is a conspiracy theorist, but big whoop. Now that Cadmus is gone, he's not going to retire to some bar and wish it was back to the old days. It was a victory story. Now that he's won, it's time to go find a new battle to fight. He has new allies, he might pack up and go back to his real home, and maybe he would introduce Huntress to Aristotle (though that crosses continuities, and crossing continuities is like crossing the streams. I'm kinda expecting hatemail). I think Huntress would be supportive, but I also think she has a harder time taking Change than Question might. Q has always been a mysterious, philosophical fellow. I think he can stand solving one case and moving on to the next.

I just wanted to write the fanfictiony bit somewhere that someone might care, so feel free to skip this post if you hate things like that. Just a series of observations.

No comments:

Post a Comment